How to convert MKV to M4V for easy XBOX 360 streaming from Mac OSX

May 24, 2021

I know, I should use an Apple TV instead… but frankly I can’t. I am using Microsoft MCE in my house to run my TV and I employ 2 x XBOX 360 as extenders. One in the basement and one in the master bedroom.

So when I want to watch an HD episode of Battlestar Galactica in my bed I need to stream it to an XBOX 360 compatible format. Note that this solution could also be used to convert the file to an Apple TV compatible format too (likely the same darn file that will play on the 360).

What ingredients will you need:

1. An HD MKV file (obviously)
2. Perian QuickTime codec
3. A QuickTime Pro License
4. Nullriver Connect 360

Step 1:

The 1st thing you need to do it to download Perian from perian.org. Please watch the Screencast below to learn how to do that. Note that you can watch the HD version of this video in all it’s glory by following the link in the player:

How To install perian on OSX from Bernard Maltais on Vimeo.

Step 2:

You need to encapsulate the h.264 video stream within the MKV file into an mpeg4 container. The audio (most likely some form of AC3 or MP3) will also need to be converted to AAC audio. Please watch the Screencast below to learn how to do that. Note that you can watch the HD version of this video in all it’s glory by following the link in the player:

How to convert mkv to m4v video format from Bernard Maltais on Vimeo.

Step 3:

Put the converted file in a folder that Connect 360 can share to the XBOX 360.

Go on your XBOX 360 and enjoy the episode!

Related Posts

• No Related Post

Comments

16 Responses to “How to convert MKV to M4V for easy XBOX 360 streaming from Mac OSX”

1. » How to convert MKV to M4V for easy XBOX 360 streaming from Mac OSX on May 24th, 2008 8:57 pm

[...] [Technorati] Tag results for xbox360 wrote an interesting post today onHere’s a quick excerpt OK, I am going to write a simple howto on how I personally convert my HD 720p BT MKV into something that the XBOX 360 can playback. I know, I should use an Apple TV instead… but frankly I can’t. I am using Microsoft MCE in my house to run my TV and I employ 2 x XBOX 360 as extenders. One in the basement and one in the maser bedroom. So when I want to watch an HD episode of Battlestar Galactica in my bed I need to stream it to an XBOX 360 compatible format. Note that this solution could also [...]

2. GAME CHEATS » Blog Archive » xbox [2021-05-25 01:32:09] on May 24th, 2008 9:50 pm

[...] How to convert MKV to M4V for easy XBOX 360 streaming from Mac OSX By bmaltais So when I want to watch an HD episode of Battlestar Galactica in my bed I need to stream it to an XBOX 360 compatible format. Note that this solution could also be used to convert the file to an Apple TV compatible format too (likely … JoostTeam.com - http://www.joostteam.com [...]

3. Niels on June 4th, 2008 12:05 pm

Thanks a bunch!

4. Nick McCabe on June 17th, 2008 8:01 pm

Hey Thanks a lot, I have been looking everywhere for a tutorial…

Your GreaT!!!!

Two Thumbs Up!

5. Julian on July 10th, 2008 1:01 am

Thanks a lot! I did have some problems converting 1920×800 movies. They didn’t look right. I also converted a 1280×544 with no problems, but then it wouldn’t play on the 360 for some reason.

Have you had any success doing movies in 720p or 1080p?

Thanks again!

Julian

6. admin on July 10th, 2008 6:45 am

Julian, The xbox 360 should be able to play those files unless the bitrate is too high or the h.264 video profile is above what the xbox 360 is able to handle. I am not too sure anymore what the 360 can handle…

Here are the specs for supported h264 on the xbox:

Q: What does the Xbox 360 console support for H.264?

A: The Xbox 360 console supports the following for H.264:

* File extensions: .mp4, .m4v, mp4v, .mov, .avi
    * Containers: MPEG-4, QuickTime
    * Video profiles: Baseline, main, and high (up to level 4.1)
    * Video bit rate: 10 Mbps with resolutions of 1920 × 1080 at 30 fps. See the question about max bit rate, resolution, and frames per second.
    * Audio profiles: AAC, 2-channel, Low Complexity
    * Audio max bit rate: No restrictions. See the question about max bit rate, resolution, and frames per second.

7. Israel Franco on July 24th, 2008 2:38 am

Master!!! I have nothing to say but thanks!!

8. Anleitung: MKV to M4V/MP4 ohne Qualitätsverlust on July 26th, 2008 4:53 pm

[...] dazu auch: - How to convert MKV to M4V for easy XBOX 360 streaming from Mac OSX - Convert MKV files to MP4 for PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360 using GOTSent (alternative unter [...]

9. eple on August 11th, 2008 9:46 am

Thanks a lot!
    For those who failed, you may try using ffmpegX and WMV…
    Anyway, it’s a very cool guide ;)

10. Marcelo on August 13th, 2008 9:50 pm

I had a problem. My video is H.264 but for some reason I can’t do the pass-through encoding. The option is greyed out. Any thoughts on this?

Thank you!

11. Marcelo on August 18th, 2008 12:14 am

Update:

I haven’t been able to get a single movie to play on my 360 using this method.

12. Confused on August 25th, 2008 12:22 am

I did this but the audio is out of sync. why is that?

13. Nate on September 19th, 2008 5:14 pm

I was able to get one video to “pass through” fine but I’m having a problem with another and it’s not letting me select pass through from the pulldown menu. Any thoughts??

14. raseri on September 24th, 2008 8:56 pm

I was unable to select pass through as well, the file info showed the H264 codec though, confused. I stopped the export and when I reopened file it did not allow me to export, wierd. I will try w/ another .mkv file.

15. raseri on September 24th, 2008 10:35 pm

if you are unable to select pass through check your setting for File Format at the top, it should be on MP4, not MP4 (ISMA).

16. raseri on September 24th, 2008 10:59 pm

I have successfully created the file but it does not play on the 360, it shows up just does not play. Please Help!

Got something to say?

You must be logged in to post a comment.